MERCER STREET VIADUCT
Mercer street was once one long street with a brick paved viaduct connecting it between Cornelison and the former Factory Street. Factory Street was named for the factory located along the nearby rail lines. Bids for building a steel viaduct in Mercer Street were opened by the Board Of Street and Water Commissioners on June 17 of 1895, and was finally awarded to Post & McCord Architectural and Structural Iron Works of New York City.
The Post & McCord Architectural and Structural Iron Works was founded by Andrew J Post. The company comprised of civil engineers and contractors which specialized in the iron work in bridges, fire-proof buildings and roofs.
The viaduct was put in place in an attempt to connect Bergen and the older sections of the older parts of the city. The steel bridge was an alternative to street paving since they were worried of the street sinking into the meadows. At the time, it was a major improvement to infrastructure.
The viaduct was constructed with light driving and bicycling in mind and by 1911, the railing had to be repaired. In the 1950's, a fire consumed a nearby factory damaging the viaduct. It was dismantled after it was discovered to be structurally unsound, leaving the two stretches of Mercer Street separated. The street wound up coming to a end and dropping 6 feet below which caused a accident when a truck mistakenly drove off the edge.
The viaduct is no longer a fixture of Jersey City, but traces can be seen when observing the area where it once was.
Feb 26 2016
Feb 26 2016