Built in 1848 for Dr. James Boardman of the Seaman's Retreat hospital, the house on Bay Street is a perfect example of Italianate architecture .
After he passed away his widow sold it to Captain Elvin Eugene Mitchell, a founder of the Sandy Hook Pilots Benevolent Association. He had received award money for the rescue of 176 people from the SS Oregon sinking in 1886.
It remained in the Mitchell family until 1968 and has been sold several times since. In 2009, it was given to Barnett Shepherd, a local preservationist who started restoring the building. The home has views overlooking the Narrows to the Manhattan skyline.
The Seaman's Retreat hospital is a Greek Revival Building constructed between 1834 and 1837 and is located not too far from the historic home.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Laura Gonzalez is a photographer, blogger and historian currently residing in Newark, New Jersey.